Sunday, April 6, 2014

At last...life is like a song

No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.
Hal Borland

 American Robin - Harbinger of Spring

At last...finally...welcome SPRING!!!!!!!! The long cold winter is over at long last. Today I awakened to full sunshine, the cacophony of bird songs outside my window, the last patches of snow shrinking visibly by the hour - a reminder of the previous week's freakish one foot snow storm - and the spring bulbs pushing their leaves up through the newly thawed earth. In a week, there will be crocus and primrose and an early daffodil or two. In another, the tulips will burst forth and the hint of new leaves will appear on the lilacs and birch first. The hawks were circling the morning - perhaps looking at a new supply of field mice to feed their babies. It is spring - and like the earth, I feel reborn, renewed, prepared for growth.

Most people describe spring in terms of color and very often refer to the greening of the earth. I'm an oddball, I guess. I see the gold in spring before I ever see the green. This is what it looks and feels like to me:

SPRING IN GOLD

Whoever sees but green in spring
has not seen it early making
crazy patchwork quilts of gold
laced with yellowed snow.
Old-gold stubble of close-cropped corn,
tawny gold of last year's hay,
dew-topped first furrows, sun-gilded
creek willows easing green-gold brass
against the morning sky.
Tentative yellow-greenings, wary, watchful,
waiting for the season's promise - 
a shy bride on fulfillment's eve. 

© Lianne Schneider 2008

Yes, for me the season is golden first, warming my heart, brightening my thoughts, lifting my spirits towards the heavens. The gold of spring is the burnished setting for the jewel-like colors that will adorn the earth in just a week or so. But for now, I am content to bask in the golden glow. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment