Tuesday, June 3, 2014

QUIET the mind...open the HEART

"Meditation speaks. It speaks in silence. It reveals. It reveals to the aspirant that matter and spirit are one, quantity and quality are one, the immanent and the transcendent are one."
Sri Chinmoy

In the last post, I spoke about the first steps towards listening to your heart and I mentioned that in this post, I'd talk a little bit about meditation and introduce you to a guided meditation to open your heart. Steve Mueller, author of the "Personal Development Blog Gone Wild" on his Planet of Success blogsite lists a number of steps for beginning the practice of meditation that I'm going to share with you here:
  1. Sit down in a comfortable upright position
  2. Make sure that your spine is straight
  3. Focus your attention on your respiratory organs
  4. Feel the natural flow of air entering and leaving your body
  5. Allow your mind to calm down, while you focus on breathing
  6. [Optional] Begin to vocalize the mantra of your choice
  7. Watch as your mind begins to ease, enjoy the inner peace
  8. Enjoy the tranquility and go with what feels natural to you
  9. If a thought begins to arise, think and contemplate about it
  10. If a certain scenario/day-dream begins to unfold, follow it
  11. Remain in the meditative state as long as it feels right
All of those steps are important and they sound easy enough, but I suspect that for most of us it's a bit more difficult than this. I'm reminded of a scene from Eat, Pray, Love, where Julia Roberts is attempting to discipline herself to meditate. She's living in an ashram and the discipline involves getting up at 4 a.m. and spending several hours in the meditation room in the lotus position. But the harder she tries, the more impossible it is. Her mind races, fills with inconsequential thoughts and distractions and she begins to question herself. "Why can't I do this right?" "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" Now she's angry and frustrated and a long way from the inner peace meditation is supposed to bring! I can sympathize. My first attempts at even a guided meditation were dismal "failures" for the same reasons and I would say to my instructor again and again, "I can't do this right."

To prepare myself for meditation, I like to listen to the sound of trickling water - a personal tabletop waterfall is just the thing. But what helped me the most apart from having settled on a mantra with which I could be comfortable, was to really focus on step 3 above...paying attention to the breath. I mean consciously following your breath in and out with a predetermined intention to breathe IN peace and breathe OUT negative feelings, energy, thoughts. Breathe in through the nose, deeply, and in your mind's eye follow the air into your lungs and more importantly, into your heart. See your breath as if it were light - filling your body - your arms, legs, torso but centering in the heart. When you breathe back out, do so through your mouth but expel the air slowly. Do this by pursing your lips, shaping them as if you were going to whistle or blow up a balloon and feel the resistance through which the air has to pass. At the same time pull in your tummy and contract your diaphragm. Slow deep breaths keep you from hyperventilating, slow your heart rate and oxygenate and refresh the body. At first, you may find it difficult to pair this breathing practice with repeating a mantra but eventually you will find a rhythm that breathes in on the first syllable or part of the syllable and out on the second part. For example, if you are using the traditional Om mantra (pronounced approximately Oh-um but without the clear syllabification) you would breathe in deeply through your nose on "Oh," hold it for a second or two and breathe out slowly, compressing the diaphragm on "um." Likewise if you use the word "Abba" - in on "Ab" and out on "ba."

After about 10 breaths, and with twice daily or even once daily practice for a week, the breathing/mantra combination will feel very natural and in the manner of "self-hypnosis" will get you to a very relaxed and receptive state in which you can begin to open and listen to your heart - steps 7 through 11 in Mueller's list.

Below you'll find a very simple guided meditation to open the heart chakra (a chakra is an energy center in the body that we may talk about in a later post). This is only eight minutes long but it introduces you to three methods of locating and opening your heart chakra. 

From EnergyFundamentals.org

There are many wonderful sites online where you can listen to various kinds of meditation, experience guided meditations geared toward specific purposes and even download some of them for repeated use. I have dozens of these in my files as well as some meditation systems I've paid for which I personally find helpful but think they are an unnecessary expense in most cases. Online, one of my favorite sites for guided meditations is http://www.tarabrach.com/new-to-meditation.html where you will find some very helpful introductory exercises and then some really beautiful longer meditations. That's where I go when I cannot meditate without a guide - and for me, that's most of the time. 

Next post - the remaining steps to listening to the heart. Beginning next Wednesday, I will be offline and unable to post for several weeks although I am going to try to write a post or two in advance and schedule them to post when I am away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment