Saturday, January 4, 2014

Announcing...a year of gratitude

 "The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude." 
Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.bluecanvas.com/art-detail/239771 

I've already indicated elsewhere that I've given up on resolutions per se for the New Year. However, I saw something on a social media site yesterday that reminded me that the beginning of a new year is the perfect time for a change of attitude...to announce to myself most of all (and to you too, if you'd like to be included) a year of gratitude. I'm not talking about blowing my own horn about every wonderful thing that happens to me. I'm actually referring to an awareness of the blessings that exist even in what seems to be a challenge or a sorrow or a loss. Sometime last year I wrote this poem to capture what I mean:
An Attitude of Gratitude

Often the mind remembers only with pain 
what the heart remembers gratefully,
making sense of past mistakes and failures,
soul seeing now with clearer, wiser eye
that harsh loss has oft’ been hard-won victory 
over one’s fragile self, if nothing else. 
The ego wants and wants and is certain 
that what it wants will always be denied
unless we take it greedily, unheeding 
of the truth that the tighter we grasp
the less likely we are able to hold it, 
that hands like hearts must be open
in order to receive the gifts of the day. 
The grateful heart looks back and says, 
“How utterly perfect the timing of that crisis, 
that problem, that stumble, that loss…”
knowing now the necessary lessons 
that were learned in such dark moments.
A heart that sees with an attitude of gratitude 
finds a certain order in apparent chaos, 
acceptance in place of denial or resentment, 
and clarity within the seeming confusion
of both past and present struggles. 
Now emerging from the darkness of a fearful
vulnerability born of an inherent human shame, 
feeling flawed and forever “not enough,” 
moving into the light of that same vulnerability, 
our hearts open to joy and love and deep knowing
that in the fearsome risk was awesome reward. 
Thus graced, we find that even in our imperfection
we are truly good enough and worthy of love 
and begin to see, too, that love is everywhere we look.
How could we not be grateful for such a truth?

© Lianne Schneider 2013

As Nietzsche said, great art is born of gratitude. How could it be otherwise? Even the darkest art is a recognition of having lived through the nightmares, the losses, having found courage and hope in spite of hurt or challenge. And art that uplifts, inspires and brightens our days surely derives from an awareness of the beauty of the present moment, regardless of what else might be waiting for us. So...the suggestion I read on that social media site said to take a big jar and at the end of every day before you go to bed, write one thing on a small slip of paper for which you are truly grateful that day. Maybe it's just that you started the day with a good breakfast or you had enough money to pay the mortgage today or a friend was there to hold your hand when you received bad news. Just one thing...and put that slip of paper into the jar. You'll open it next New Year's Eve and see before you all the many things for which you were grateful the whole year long. For myself, I'm going to double up...and both here and on that slip of paper I'm going to put the name of one artist, writer, or friend whose presence and whose art is something I give thanks for each and every day. Those who challenged me or affirmed me or inspired me in some way. Today, I give thanks for +Douglas MooreZart whose enthusiastic support is always cherished and whose artwork constantly inspires me.

 



The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/friedrichn100896.html#7SocfOqPHdd5iwDx.99
The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/f/friedrichn100896.html#7SocfOqPHdd5iwDx.99
The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment