Monday, January 6, 2014

How do you measure success??


“I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down.”

― Abraham Lincoln

The Railroad Junction - Circa 1880
[My apology first that this post is longer than usual or than intended but it’s a true story and one I hope worth reading].


How are you measuring your success as an artist, a writer…a person? I suppose I’m like everyone else when they first started out with their artistic endeavors. I thought I had to measure my success in terms of sales – how many people bought my first book of poetry, Songs of the Heart’s Longing  or my second, Ecclesiastes for Sixty: Seasons in Solitude 

      The answer is – not many – and most of those sales went to friends, family and fellow poets. And when I turned toward the art world, I thought I should measure the value of my art by the number of prints or canvases I sold. Again, the truth was…I didn’t sell many, particularly in the learning curve years. But then, as I said, in an earlier post, I realized that I was using entirely the wrong measure for all of it. Sure it would have been nice to be a best-selling author – though let’s face it, that rarely happens to poets unless you're Maya Angelou! And it would be incredibly lovely to sell enough prints to tuck a little nest egg away so I could afford to do a little more with my “golden years.” 

         Luckily for me, I remembered the greatest lesson about success I’ve ever heard…and it was a lesson taught to me by the brightest, most intelligent student I ever had the privilege to teach. Bear with me…I’ll try to keep this short and still make the point. This student was a young man of East Indian heritage, the child of professional parents, an AP and honor student all through school. His older brother had been senior class valedictorian and later, his sister would be too. But neither of them were as brilliant as he was. His junior year, he scored a perfect 1600 on his SATs (before the change to 2400). He entered and won the International Science Fair, creating an entirely new math which he was invited to present to the faculty of a prestigious Texas university (and for which he got a standing ovation from men and women absolutely in awe of his abilities). This young man entered my senior advanced sociology class and said on the first day, “I’ve been waiting four years to take your class Mrs. Schneider and have a chance to really learn something new and exciting outside my usual fields of study.” 
     Well, I must say, I was a tad intimidated and wasn’t sure I could live up to that challenge! But on the very first class day, after telling students that if there was a word I used that they didn’t understand to raise their hands and ask (there’s a lot of jargon in any field of study) wouldn’t you know, this brilliant young man was the first to do that, announcing that he’d never heard a word I used in my discussion and would I mind defining or explaining it. Because he was humble enough to do that, he set the tone for the entire year for the entire class – and the energy, inquisitiveness and accomplishments of that senior class never saw an equal in my years at that school. Naturally, inevitably, this marvelous young man was his class valedictorian and as senior sponsor, it was my job to oversee his valedictory address to ensure that it would be suitable for the occasion. Truthfully, I didn’t really proof it in advance…he gave me a rough outline of what he wanted to talk about and I said, “Go for it…it sounds perfect.” And it was. His topic, “What Is Success?”

                Here was a young man who at 18 had already achieved more “worldly” success than men and women twice his age (I forgot to mention that he was a championship tennis player too!). But he stood before his classmates – all of widely varied abilities, some who had barely made it to graduation, some for whom athletics was far more important than academics, some who were arrogant about their status and some who were terribly unsure of themselves and afraid of the future – and he spoke to them of various definitions of success. He called them by name and said John (not his real name) is a great success as a friend…loyal to a fault, dependable, trustworthy. And Susan makes the most beautiful crocheted afghans something no one else in the class can do. Mary lights up any day with her smile and a joke to lift your spirits. Kevin can throw a baseball 90 miles an hour and he worked 50 hours a week all year to pay his tuition here. He singled out the kids who had struggled and found some quality or talent they possessed that few knew about and he held it up as a measure. “Success,” he said, “isn’t about accolades or awards, it isn’t about making the highest grades or the most money. Success is about being the best YOU you can be and in that sense every single one of my classmates is undeniably successful.”  I cried – right there on the stage – and so did every one of his classmates.

                I realized when I recalled that moment, that I was incredibly successful too. Not because I sold four or five art prints a day but just because I had done my best on every single work I posted. Just because I worked and reworked a poem until it expressed exactly what I wanted it to say, even if no one else got it. And I want to share that success with each of you and tell you that you, too, are successful in a thousand ways you haven’t even thought of. I don’t know which of my art friends sell a lot of art work and which don’t – occasionally I become aware that someone whose work I admire has sold a number of pieces in a row, but I’m sure there are dozens of people out there who never announce their sales or never have any. Once in a while, I hear a fellow artist worry about why their work isn’t selling and I often remind myself – and them – to look for another measure of success and be proud of sharing their work, of creating from their hearts and proud that they brought some joy or insight or epiphany to even one person today.

                In worldly terms, success is ephemeral – like fame – but in terms of one’s own satisfaction with what one has accomplished, success is lasting and can’t be bought or sold. Like the little engine who kept saying, “I think I can, I think I can…” we just keep on trying and working together to make things happen. In my book, Darren Fisher’s success is in his willingness to share HOW he creates such beauty and where to find the resources to enhance anyone’s artistic efforts. I have no idea whether Darren sells much or little and it doesn’t matter to me at all (it might matter to him!). Or why not consider a definition of success that includes how generous an artist – like Jane Small – is in supporting and encouraging others with comments that reach right into the heart of an artist’s work and speaks to the nuanced beauty she has found there. I sincerely hope these two remarkable talents ARE selling a ton of work but for myself – I measure their success by a different ruler. 

P.S. I PROMISE - tomorrow's post WILL be shorter!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment