Thursday, January 2, 2014

You cannot be it until you dream it...

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
~ George Eliot


I never really had a vision for my life beyond the age of 65. For some odd reason, I couldn't imagine that there would be a great deal to look forward to after that and so I approached that birthday with dread even though I'd already begun to write again, had two books of poetry in print and had posted a few moderately decent photographs on a number of art sites. Somebody asked me what it was like to be "competing" with younger artists and writers at my age and my first thought was, "Well, hell, I can't answer that because I'm not in the same league at all and I'm awfully old to begin pursuing such a ridiculous dream as becoming an writer/artist now."

But then I realized that I wasn't alone in coming late and unschooled to the field of art and that it wasn't about competition for me at all. It was about finding my voice,  finding some means of  expressing who I've discovered myself to be at 60+, what I find beautiful, what has value to me, what has helped me to grow spiritually and emotionally...some way to say what it all means. Still, even with that revelation, it didn't occur to me to consider myself a photographer or an artist. I clung to my old Sony 3 megapixel point and shoot for ages, learned nothing about aperture or shutter speed, white balance or any of the technicalities behind fine photography. I did eventually grow up to a 14 megapixel Canon with incredible zoom but I still knew nothing about photography and it was still point and shoot.

And then something magical happened...instead of learning all the technical ins and outs about my camera or taking a class in photography, someone whose work I admired as ART introduced me to photo editing and I fell in love immediately with the possibilities. I was willing to spend the time, the energy, the practice and sometimes the frustration on learning that process. Then...I found Wacom and Corel Painter and digital painting and realized I could turn my less than brilliant photographs into art - not by applying a texture alone but by painting from scratch just as I'd done in the few acrylics I'd tried in my early 40s - but now I could paint without the mess!

Everything I loved - the sea particularly, the rolling hills and creeks of Western New York, the beautiful flowers in my garden sprang to life in full color with the help of that magical pen. Perhaps I'd never be the digital Renoir, but I'd found a means of expression I never thought I could have and I found ways and places to share the joy of that when I wanted to. It wasn't about competition now...I no longer felt the need to compare myself and my art to what others were doing or even question why their work sold and mine didn't. Art and the new poetry it inspires me to write have become a part of who I am now - not just something I do as a hobby or out of boredom. Every single day, I try something new, learn something new and I never get tired of it. Sometimes I post it...more often than not I don't but I've reached some goal for that day, taught myself something different than yesterday and that's what makes me forget that I'm going to be 68 in a few weeks. I don't bother much with real mirrors anymore - my digital canvases have become my reflection in the world.

So...it really never is too late to become the artist, craftsman, writer or photographer you were meant to be and the reward is immeasurable too - a new self-respect, a new "love" for self that helps to overcome loss or sadness that inevitably shadows our later years. So dream big and believe in yourself and at every age, realize there is so much more to try. Take that from an old gal who's going to try to give Grandma Moses a run for her money!! 

 Background texture adapted from one by Pamela Phelps

No comments:

Post a Comment