Wednesday, January 8, 2014

There are monsters in my closet!

“We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.”

― John Hughes

Songbird

The other day I saw an awe inspiring video of a brief TED talk by Ash Beckham that has lingered with me since I saw it. Ash is lesbian – and the video started out as the tale of an experience probably fairly common to gay men and women everywhere…being questioned by a child about their gender. But there’s no way that’s even the point of the speech because Ms. Beckham turned her own experience into a totally human experience, one that, whether we’ll admit it or not, we all share. It has nothing to do with whether we are gay or straight – it’s simply about life.

Ms. Beckham made the point beautifully that we all have closets too and coming out of them is HARD. So I got to thinking…what are my closets and more to the point, what’s in them? What secrets are hidden there that, if left in the dark, become monsters that haunt my dreams at night? How long have I lived in certain closets that contain those “skeletons” I don’t want to talk about or admit to. Ms. Beckham defines a closet as “nothing more than a hard conversation,” one we’re afraid to have because it might cost us something or someone we care about might turn his/her back on us once we have that conversation. She gave the examples of telling someone you have cancer or having a conversation about infidelity. And I can see those would be hard conversations to have. But there are other conversations that are equally hard to have – conversations about our feelings, our self-image, conversations about what it is that gives our life meaning or what we think defines us.

Maybe our closets are dark spaces because we’ve spent our entire lives doing and being who others thought we should be. We never had the courage or enough self-love to say, “Look, I don’t want to be a pharmacist or a broker or a nurse. I want to paint. I want to sing. I don’t care if I struggle to make ends meet – those are the things that give my life meaning.” Perhaps not saying those things is why we have mid-life crises. Imagine how different our lives might have been had we said to our partners…”I love you, yes, and I want to spend my life with you. But for that to be a good life, a happy life, we both need to be ourselves completely. This is MY dream (to be an artist, a musician, a songwriter, a poet). What is yours?”

Certainly that doesn’t mean tossing responsibility to the wind, neglecting our loved ones or abandoning those who matter to us. But over time, if we keep stuffing our authentic selves into the closets of our lives, pretty soon those suppressed dreams become the monsters that destroy our peace of mind, our chance at happiness. Abandoned dreams cause resentment and anger or force us to lie to ourselves and say, “Well, I wasn’t good enough at it anyway.” Or they leave us grief-stricken in our later years that there is nothing of ourselves in what we leave behind, feeling that it’s too late to open that closet door now. The great mythologist/philosopher, Joseph Campbell espoused a philosophy that should be taught from nursery school right on through school – “Follow your bliss.” That means pursue those avenues of work, relationship, recreation that truly bring you joy. Challenged by Bill Moyers about whether that was a practical thing to do, Campbell added, “If you follow your bliss, the money will follow.” That doesn’t mean, of course, that we can raise a family well by joining the starving artist parade from hotel to hotel selling paintings “some as low as $7.95.” But if we’ve always wanted to be an artist, felt inside that that is who we are, then we must pursue that with our whole hearts wherever and whenever we can, including it in every possible way in our lives. So what if the kitchen table is covered with splotches of oil paint, or the desk is a hoarder’s nest of story drafts and unfinished poems? Whatever dream you’ve hauled into the closet and locked yourself in, it’s time to have that hard conversation with the people in your life. It’s time to say, “I am an artist, I am a writer, I am a singer…” and it’s time to mean it. Swing those closet doors wide open but don’t do it anticipating a rousing reception or constant affirmation or even financial success. Do it – because it’s YOU and that’s who you have to be. After all, as Ash Beckham says, “A closet is a dark and lonely…a lousy place to live.”


THE NOTE NOT SUNG –

What is the note if not sung,
the thought if not shared?
If I do not sing my song where it might be heard,
or speak my thought where it might do good,
paint my dream where it might be seen,
then of what use is it?
I do not “own” my song, my thought, my art
in the sense that I can keep it to myself -
for if I do that, it loses any value at all
toward the expansion of the human spirit
…including my own.
                ©Lianne Schneider 2013


If you’d like to see Ash Beckham’s entire speech (it’s about 10 minutes) you can find it at





No comments:

Post a Comment