Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sea Story...a longing

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea,
whether it is to sail or to watch,
we are going back from whence we came." 
~John Kennedy~
 
Between Sea and Shore
 
I've never lived by the sea really - close a few times - able to get to a beach on a day's drive,
but the sea fascinates me. Its power, its moods, its vastness...are somehow an endless source of inspiration to me in both my writing and my art. I think of an ocean in a storm and I'm reminded of the storms that life can bring to us. I see a lighthouse and I know that there is somewhere -
in a friend's heart, a lover's touch a light to guide me through. I think of the journey each of us is on...our own personal quest for peace, for truth, for wholeness...the journey of self-discovery -
and it takes me to the sea.  
 
BETWEEN SEA AND SHORE

A late summer afternoon at the Cape,
sweet sounds abound - a gentle lullaby
of sea grasses sighing in an onshore breeze,
the slight swell of an incoming wavelet
spilling happily over ageless small stones,
little pebbles tumbling one over the other,
their gentle clattering friction masked by
the resonance of the surge as it splashes
into this quiet cove onto this shingled beach.
Wading out, I let the wave embrace my feet,
hearing against my legs the slight swash
of an ebbing tide and listen in my silence for
the softest shushing of a withdrawing wave
whispering its secrets to the sand, softly
planting goodbye kisses, wet and sloppy,
on a curved shoreline of shimmering stones.
What peace it is to stand here and be witness
to this eternal love between sea and shore.
 
                                    © Lianne Schneider 2013         
 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment