Sunday, January 19, 2014

You've got a friend...


       “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”
Helen Keller

 Peace of Country Living


Naming friendship as one of the heroic virtues seems such an obvious thing that you probably wonder what I could have to say about it that you don’t already know. And the answer is…probably nothing. But as Sam Keen, author of “Fire in the Belly” says, “…these days friendship is an endangered species. Friendship doesn’t thrive in a social ecology that stresses speed, constant preoccupation and competition…It requires slow time. Like great whiskey, it must be seasoned in wood, steeped in patience, and long simmered. No instant intimacy or one night stands. The cadence of friendship is measured in decades’ long rhythms.”
 
Social media often deceives us into believing that a friendship exists when the only relationship is a common activity or political stance. We feel that our Facebook “friends” know us, understand us and could be relied on to be there for us in difficult times.  To some degree that is true – or it can be true – but the reality also exists that people can be whomever they wish to be online. There’s also a false sense of intimacy that comes from publicly sharing some aspects of our personal lives while keeping other aspects hidden.
 
Still that may say more about our deep longing for a real friend than it does about the superficial nature of social media relationships. The criticism of electronic communications may be overly harsh. In fact, I am blessed to have met several of my truly dearest friends online originally…although those relationships are “real” now in the sense of frequent communications by phone, occasional visits and the like. There is a growing body of evidence as well that some very successful marriages begin online too, so who is to say that a friendship cannot begin there as well. Perhaps, after all, it’s irrelevant how or where a friendship begins – what matters is whether that friendship endures through all the good times and bad because someone “knows” who you are at the core and loves you anyway.

I wrote this poem a number of years ago for two friends who have stood with me through everything life could throw at me and who shared both the best of times and the worst of times. Both love me enough to tell me the truth – particularly when I don’t want to hear it. And I love them both though I fail to say it often enough. My life would be far less fulfilling if they were not a part of it. For L. R. and A. G. – you know why: 
 
Friendship’s Grace *

Some kinds of love are inexplicable,
like love for the dearest of friends -
one who walks some of life’s journey with you,
who holds your hand through the valleys
and anchors the rappelling line while
you scale the rock-strewn spiritual mountains
you thought you had to climb alone.
Connections between such kindred souls,
part of the great mystery of the universe,
are gifts without price that we have
done nothing whatever to merit.


Such love extends and expands beyond
knowing and knowable boundaries of spirit –
the acceptance and freedom of friendship
is a mystery of pure grace unfolding,
an “agape” of sharing unfettered
by the passions and arrows of Eros.
Describing such boundless generous love -
That is so freely given and received -
is beyond the scope of our limited lexis.
A beacon of light in the darkness 
is the incomparable love for a friend. 

                   
                          © Lianne Schneider 2010

James Lecesne, American actor, Academy Award winner and author of the book “Absolute Brightness,” explains exactly what a true friend does for another:

“This is how it works. I love the people in my life, and I do for my friends whatever they need me to do for them, again and again, as many times as is necessary. For example, in your case you always forgot who you are and how much you're loved. So what I do for you as your friend is remind you who you are and tell you how much I love you. And this isn't any kind of burden for me, because I love who you are very much. Every time I remind you, I get to remember with you, which is my pleasure.”
 
For those of you who are “old” friends, I treasure you as I have always done even if I haven’t spoken to you in years. For those of you who are “new” friends or online friends, those whom I am just beginning to know and value, and those who, like me, felt some kind of true connection, let’s consider that like good whiskey, we are aging in fine casks to bring out the best flavor. As the great essayist, Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, not the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship.”
 

Reference: 

Keen, Sam. (1992, April). Fire in the Belly: On Being a Man. Bantam Books, New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment